Monday, February 21, 2011

Today, simply today....

I am such a bad blogger. However, it wasn't until I took a nosy to see if the page was still there that I realised I missed it. It was a huge creative outlet for me.
I am a Facebooker, but your updates can only be a certain length, and I am appalled by the poor spelling and grammar. He he! It's the teacher in me.
So, back to blogging.
A lot has happened since I began in 2008.
I'm teaching, still a full time mum to one, and am doing a correspondence course in Learning and Development. Still renovating the house. Still trying to cling to my mana and kiwiana (unsuccessfully I have to add) but perhaps this blog will be my motivation. They say that writing it down makes it permanent, a solid commitment....
So, one commitment I have made this week is to become more environmentally friendly. I was anyway, but it has lapsed due to laziness of late.
I have signed the pledge to no longer buy new manufactured clothes. I was always a big ebay shopper, but will be serious about it now. Apart from underwear / swimwear / nightwear and osteo shoes, I am determined to purchase all clothes 2nd hand, or to make my own.
I am also going to make more use of my legs and public transport when I can. This, again, is something I was good at - walking into town / work. But over the winter when it has been so dark and so cold, it was just too easy to defrost the car. However, no more!
The shopping has to change too. I have decided to make use of the Ethical Superstore for my stock cupboard / cleaning products - even if it means bulk buying to be more carbon efficient. I am then going to get all my fruit and veg from Ulverston market, and my fish and meat from the local suppliers.
Hopefully, then my recycling pile will shrink.
Oh, and last of all I am going to be planting my own this week - tumbling tomatoes, radishes and courgettes to begin with. Then a bit later I will be doing my salads. I also want to do a herb garden on my kitchen windowsill, however, I am trying to locate a second hand box, or set of pots.

Phew. Wish me luck with all this!

No comments: