Monday, July 13, 2009

A taste of New Zealand in Cumbria



Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.

I had such a lovely weekend. I met these friends in New Zealand and I realised this weekend that they played a big part of shaping who I was over there, and knowing that I can be that person here is great.

I showed them round my home town. Its always nice to see your own back yard through a tourists eyes. I remember now why I moved back to the UK. I really do live in a beautiful part of the country. My home town centre is not the nicest - especially with the credit crunch causing many more shops to close - but a 5 minute drive takes me to some amazing places.

Furness Abbey


Piel Castle


And, of course the beautiful Lake District.

We also found a little of NZ in a quaint village called Broughton. Its a small little market town, that dates back to the 11th century. There is a beautiful little cafe/bakery there, where you are guaranteed to get a good cup of coffee, and amazingly they had a sculpture of a NZ tiki on display.



We felt at home.

No comments: