Monday, July 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We are picking up the keys to our new house this week.

It's a beautiful double fronted terrace, built in 1908 - purposefully for senior engineers in the local shipbuilders. Very appropriate as my husband is now a senior comissioning engineer there.

I went for a good look round today with the agent. Big plans are forming in my head. The current owners have done a great job of decorating whilst keeping some original features. They have replaced the two fires, but have gone for Edwardian style replacements like this one:







I am wondering how my existing furniture, pictures, ornaments and .... cultural artefacts will fit (eg:
didgeridoo and Jack Johnson autographed hand painted
surfboard - I KNOW!)

I am thinking that we turn our guest room into a kind of travellers respite. I'd like to keep the TV in there too. We got used to not having one in NZ, but I want one here to watch movies on, and I can picture a nice 42" flat screen hanging on the wall with the surfboard hanging from the ceiling above. Although I may need to rethink this idea, as I am discovering the merits of letting my little girl veg in front of In the Night Garden while I get our bags and coats ready.





I do want to keep to tradition in the bathroom though. This is a true Edwardian bathroom















And this is a modern version which I love.














I am thinking I am going to be busy busy busy for the next year! And I am going to love every minute.



No comments: