Friday, July 18, 2008

A Kiwi sense of style

I set off on my daily walk today. Its about 15 minutes into the city - I follow the river route and cross quite a high bridge, so it can get pretty windy. I wore my slouch jeans, a lovely merino wool sweater and my gortex walking shoes. In a hurry as my wee girl was screaming blue murder, I threw on my purple pashmina, black snowboard jacket, my black wool beret, black leather gloves and my CK large frame prescription sunglasses. Ran out the house pushing the stealth bomber style buggy, and thought "success" ( I had managed to put on some bronzer with my mascara today!)
It was only as I reached the town and passed the bank with the mirrored windows that I realised I looked like a French assasin from a James Bond movie! All be it, quite a stylee one, but certainly not the yummy mummy I aspire to be.
When did my fashion sense dissolve? I think it has been a gradual process since moving to NZ. I have become a bonafide Kiwi!
My hubby is far worse. I looked across at him tonight.... What an icon. I so need the fab five from Queer Eye to come give him a makeover. He was wearing: Camoflage 3/4 shorts, dark brown ugg boots, a black and blue merino longsleeve thermal (known over here as the polyprop) and his old England Rugby t-shirt, which was covered in paint and baby sick! Oh dear.... it is a worry. Our daughter is the best dressed out of the 3 of us. I must go on a shopping spree now that I am back to my pre-baby weight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! I had no idea what kiwi style was / is like - yours sounds great though - don't worry! If you are thinking of settling again in Cumbria the style is still 'outdoorsy' - we have spent most of the summer in wellies, gore-tex and wool jumpers.